Skunks...

Last year at this time we noticed that we had a skunk living under our barn. Derrick was livid and I was sympathetic. He wanted to kill it I didn't have the heart. After all there are people who are feeding cats on our street and the skunks come for a meal too. That was before this is now. Now after having our second skunk encounter I say kill the damn thing.

Monday night after putting Ella to bed and finding repreive in my air conditioned bedroom with a good book and my favorite tshirt, I learn that once again our dog was sprayed. This time when I went downstairs to see how I could help the smell was worse than ever. It was a mix of garlic and burning rubber that instantly had me nauseaus.

Derrick had let Ranger out to go to the bathroom and he heard an attack. Assuming that it was the neighbors little dog that likes to antagonize Ranger he called Ranger in. As he was about to come through the door he charged again at something under the window. That attack lead to him being sprayed in the eyes and mouth and of course the spray to also come through the open kitchen window. The poor dog then vomitted in the house since he made his way in.

To say the least we now have a stinky dog and a stinky house. We moved out for a few days and set up the ozone generator. Ranger has had 7 baths with a peroxide, baking soda, dish soap combination (Derrick and I have both have also had to shower with that concotion as well). All my clothes and I do mean ALL, towels and other materials now need to be washed and every surface of the house has been sprinkled with baking soda and vinigar.

Did I mention that I am supposed to be packed and ready to leave at 5 am Friday morning for a long weekend on the Isle Au Haut (an island off the coast of ME)? Oh yeah and Hurrucane Earl is stopping by too... Through it all though I am still remembering my blessings, a little retail thearpy didn't hurt yesterday either :0)

3 comments:

Firehouse mama said...

oh, wow...I thought I had it bad. We have what are called "drain flies" that have decided to take up residence in our drain in one of the bathrooms....yeah killing them has been challenging..they go away for weeks and then reappear as suddenly as they did the first time. They are completely harmless, but annoying as hell. On the other hand, a skunk would be terrible. I'd say get to setting traps ASAP.

Unknown said...

Drain flies sound annoying!!! Can you pour something to kill them?

Firehouse mama said...

Apparently you have to do a couple of rounds of a really good drain cleaner and boiling water to truly get rid of them. I picked up the strongest drain cleaner I could buy yesterday, so hopefully that takes care of them. I haven't seen any since, so keep your fingers crossed that they are GONE!

Post a Comment