Accomplishments

Really I have never had anything I would consider an accomplishment. Sure I accomplish a lot on a daily basis. Laundry, cleaning, playing, errands, and the every day sort of things that just need to be done.

Even through out my school career I just pretty much accomplished the minimum and didn't set any challenges for myself to over come. Sure I was always on the honors list or graduated Suma Cum Laud but I didn't really try for it. So the honor of being considered in the top was never something I considered a true accomplishment.

Even my pretty awesome two year old is not my accomplishment. Sure I feed her, teach her and love her but the total awesomeness that she is is because of herself. I just foster what is there so she can take it and become the best she can be. And the whole accomplishment of birth...yeah that too I would not consider an accomplishment for me. I accomplished it. The whole 56 hour marathon of labor un-medicated, although I will say is sort of impressive, is also something that would have happened no matter what and I didn't really do much since my body did it all on its own.

However, today I can say I have an accomplishment. Something I never thought I would be able to do. Something that I am so so so proud of. Something that I set my goal and pushed myself further than I ever thought I could go. Something that when asked what my accomplishments in life are I would not hesitate to say.

Saturday morning I got up early, nervous as hell yet so happy the weather was gray, cloudy and chilly! Saturday was the morning of my first 10k. Back in January I set a goal of RUNNING 8 5ks this year. I started thinking about it and if I was going to do that then why not sign up for the Seacoast Road Race Series and earn my FREE runner's jacket. The only thing different about being in the series is that 2 of my races have to be more than a 5k... Could I do it? Sure I told myself I could so do that And I started training. I signed up for a couple non series 5ks to prepare and then went and signed up for all the series races including the two 10ks. Then I went and got pregnant. I modified my goal a little instead of running them all I want to just finish them. (Two of my races are at the end of October, say hello to the 8 month preggo waddling along if you happen to see me!)

So back to this Saturday, I talked to Derrick and since I had never ever ever run more than the 3.1 miles of a 5k (and even my last go at that ended in failure when I ended up having to walk some so I didn't cook the baby in the 95 degree heat) we decided my best option was to run a mile walk a mile and just get it done. Well on the drive over (he decided to run it with me to make sure I was good and didn't over do it for baby's sake. I tend to get a little bit competitive....) he said you know the weather is cool I bet you can do 4 miles and we can walk the last 2. OK I said well you're right let's see if I can just do a little more than a 5k and I will be proud of myself. Well mile 4 rolled around and as I passed the marker I teared up. Never have I ever run this far!!! I surpassed anything I ever thought I could do and the best part was right then and there I KNEW that I would be running when I crossed the finish line just a little over 6 miles in. My goal of the day was to finish in 2 hours or less. Then I changed it to finish in an hour and forty-five. But NEVER did I expect I would cross that line an hour and seventeen minutes after the gun went off having RUN the ENTIRE thing! I can now say one of my biggest accomplishments is that I am now a runner. I did it, I forced running to like me and become my friend and really I can do anything!

Live Laugh RUN!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Ab said...

That's a great accomplishment! Way to go, C!

Lauren said...

I would argue that your daughter is a pretty amazing accomplishment, but the running definitely is too, especially preggo! You go C!

Shelly said...

Congrats, you earned every ounce of pride on that run C!!! I'm so proud of you! :-)

Mommy Minutes said...

I'm so proud of you!!!!

Post a Comment