First Kiss

Smells provoke certain memories. Each of us has a smell that takes us back to a certain place with just one whiff. It could be a smell of glue that transfers you back to your kindergarten projects, or the smell of lemons that bring you to a summer picnic or the smell of baby powder that flashes you back to the snuggling of a newborn baby in the middle of the night. For me one of the smells is bug spray. Yep BUG SPRAY!

Bug spray will flash me back to 10 years ago today. A bunch of friends hanging out having a great time. A new couple that had just formed after months of back and forth so called flirting. Everyone could see it coming except that one boy and that one girl (although she was wishing pretty hard that it would happen). It was a summer night of swimming and hot tubbing. A group having fun just being teenagers the summer before the big senior year. S'mores were had and bug spray was put on.

It was that night long after Derrick should have left to go home and sleep since wrestling camp started the next day in Iowa and he had a plane to catch early in the morning. That I walked him to his car to say goodbye and to get away from the group for awhile. It was then with the truck door open, one foot in that Derrick leaned over and kissed me for the first time. For me not only was it the first kiss with my later to be husband but it was my first EVER kiss. It was the sweetest thing in the world. Time stopped and the peepers were peeping and when our lips met it was all bug spray....LOL Derrick had sprayed his whole self with the stuff and when we kissed it was ALL I could taste after. This kiss was short and sweet and amazing and the bug spray...well that added a chance to remember back to a time when just a girl and a boy first started. So summer for me brings fireflies, peepers, hot days and warm nights, fishing, hiking, camping and bug spray! Which brings sweet memories of a sweet kiss that has blossomed into an amazing love story.

I love you Cowboy :0)

4 comments:

Shelly said...

You've only kissed one boy your entire life?! Like whoa, lol :) Very sweet C!

Lauren said...

Awwwww, what a sweet story!

Jeff was my first kiss, too :) How lucky are we to have gotten things so right on the first try??

Janell said...

Ok, that is the sweetest story ever, C. I love that he is your first and only kiss. It's so sacred!

Unknown said...

Nell I agree it is sacred :0) And Lauren VERY lucky I think!

Post a Comment