pure bliss

I didn't have to have Calgon take me away after all. Turns out that my hubby is also good for a getaway every now and again. Or I should say for the first time ever Derrick surprised me with a night away! On Sunday he announced that he was taking me to Stonehurst Manor in North Conway, NH. It was an estate built in the 1700's and is goregous!

He took some time off from work Wednesday and after we dropped the potty training diva off with my mom we hit the road. We arrived to a view of stone arches and Mt. Washington covered in snow. We checked in and immediately felt welcome in the cozy lobby with a roaring fire and dark wood accents. He splurged and got the deluxe suit which boasts a jacuzzi AND a fireplace, what more could a girl ask for. We made dinner reservations in their dinning room for 7:15 and headed up to unpack. Arriving at 3 pm gave us four hours before dinner was sereved and the itinerary was left up to me. There was even a suggestion of (GASP) we can go shopping? I looked at my husband in complete shock, since those words have NEVER left his lips before. But shopping is not what I chose. I chose nothing, I mean NOTHING! I chose to curl up in front of the fire and just do NOTHING. I didn't have to put someone on the potty every 15 minutes or be overly enthusiastic about seeing pee in the potty. I didn't have a dog whining to go out, or laundry to do. I just sat and relaxed. I even decided to hot tub it with a glass or two or three of champagne and JUST be! At 6:30 we went down to the library room for cocktails and conversation. We just talked the two of us mostly about our adorable little girl we were both missing like crazy but talk like two grown-ups with no inturuptions.

Then it was dinner time and I have to say that I ate the BEST meal OF. MY. LIFE! We started out with the Lobster Beggar's Purse, and it was to die for. Seriously it was so so so so good, that I can't even do it justice. That was followed by soup, again delicious and my entree of stuffed shrimp and rosotto cakes ended the night as I was too full to even attempt dessert! The whole time it was nice to sit just the two of us and talk about dreams and goals and life and philosophies... We found that dinner without a 23 month old could last for 2 hours without you even realizing how much time had passed.

This morning after a nice 2.5 mile run through the mountain scenery we entered the dinning room yet again where breakfast was just as delicious as the dinner was. We literally soaked up every second of adult conversation and quiet and of course cable TV (since we don't have that at home!). We checked out at the last possible minute and headed to get some shopping in before the drive home.

I seriously had the most wonderful little getaway. I loved every second of it, I can say it was probably the best birthday gift my husband has ever given me. Although I do have to say that as much as I loved dressing up and enjoying all the beauty and relaxation of the Inn I enjoy just as much the night that was waiting for me at home. The potty dance and phone calls when Ella went on the potty by herself (getting out of the tub to do so!) The Annie's mac and cheese and veggie nuggets enjoyed picnic style in our sweat pants in front of the fire in the living room and the conversation of what is silly that I had with my baby girl :0)

Thank you Derrick for being such an amazing guy. I love you Cowboy!!!!!!

3 comments:

Janell said...

Well I think I love your Cowboy too!! Sounds like you picked a great one C - glad you had such a great time!

Shelly said...

He did a great job, what a romantic & PERFECT get-a-way!!!

Nicole Hofmann said...

That sounds so amazing! What a thoughtful and loving gift.

Post a Comment