Check that one off the list!

It was the battle of nerves vs. determination Tuesday morning in our house. I was determined to hike Mt. Chocorua so that Sprout can have a claim to a hike along with Ella. However, I was nervous as all get out. I did not want to be halfway up or all the way up or anywhere on the mountain for that matter and get stung again. I have my epi pen now (2 actually) and I know that it would buy me some time, but only 40 mins. I have yet to know what the extent of my allergy is. What exactly I am allergic too, bees, hornets, wasps? And if getting stung once would provoke the same emergency reaction as getting stung seven times did. (By the way I do have a call in to my PCP to get in for a referral to an allergist so we can determine the answers for future knowledge).

So Tuesday morning dawned, cool gray and rainy a perfect day to set out, the heat wave was GONE! Derrick took the day off and I took a deep breath and loaded my stuff into the car. I still wasn't sure if it was the smartest idea in the world (in fact most would argue probably not) but here is where I am flawed. Smart or not I am determined once I set my mind on something. Ummmm yeah hello I still have 4 more races to do and I will do them too just because I told myself I would, no matter how uncomfortable it gets for me! (yes unfortunately I don't want to admit it but it is starting to get uncomfortable to run).

Determination won. We dropped Ella off early in the morning and set off. Arriving at the trail head just after 9 am. I gave myself 4 hours to get to the top and only used 3 (30 minutes of which were an accumulation of a snack and water breaks). We hiked along side each other taking in the quiet of the woods at times or chatting about what ever popped into our heads. Usually, we were both thinking the same things and there were a lot of "I was actually just thinking that comments" given before adding our own opinion to the topic.

We broke tree level and were welcomed by an amazing view (which would be our only view of the day) while we stopped for water and a snack. Then off to the summit it was. Pure determination kicked in. I was tired and sweaty but the peak broke through the clouds once and that was all I needed to continue. The last half of mile was rock climbing and skirting and it was then I realized that I actually do have a bit of a belly and it was in the way of climbing at times.

Lunch was on the top in the clouds. There was no view, in fact the clouds were so thick you couldn't see the edge of the rocks and could have easily stepped off a cliff. But the view didn't matter. I did it, I climbed yet another mountain so my baby could say it was theirs and I had a wonderful day with my husband.

Six tenths of a mile down I twisted a knee (same exact injury I acquired on Katahdin with Ella. Stupid relaxin already has my joints super sensitive and easily over extended). Because I had to baby the knee it didn't take long before my other knee also gave out and I was hobbling the last 3 miles down the mountain in pain and leaning on Derrick for the steepest down slopes. The only thing that kept me from throwing myself a pity party and crying was the knowledge that D and I would be stopping for pizza at a local on the way home.

Tired, dirty, sweaty and sore as ever I made it to the car. Hugged D in pure pride of myself and quickly got in car to set out for the promised pizza. Which never tasted so good :0)




Live Laugh HIKE!

No comments:

Post a Comment