LoVe

I am a helpless romantic, I truly am. I love the sappy love stories and flowers and other romantic gestures. And Valentine's Day to me is not a commercial show of love but a chance to shout to the world about the love you have. People do not want to hear about how in love you are on June 2nd or March 23rd (which by the way March 23rd was the date D and I celebrated our very first Valentine's Day. Why? Oh he was a wrestler and didn't have the time to do anything before then.) But on February 14th it is OK to talk about love and show your love publicly. I however, have married an unromantic. Things like flowers and the other V-Day trinkets are something he doesn't believe in. Not just on V-Day but everyday. D is just not the flower giving type.

But as the world around me partakes in the romance of the day, I sit here and know that I am loved. There is a Hallmark commercial this year about celebrating the "us" today and not individuals. And as I think about it I really really love D but I love the "us" much much more. I love the partnership that we have. The way he makes me feel about myself, the way he gets me to look at the world, to think and to love myself. I know that I am a romantic at heart but just being with D and having the "us" overshadows ALL of that. Yesterday while sitting in church a women stood up and shared what love was to her. In 56 years of marriage not once did she get the cards, chocolate or flowers for Valentine's Day but she said it was OK. Her husband showed his love in other ways through out the year. She got a kiss every morning and a kiss every night and this year she is even getting another new tractor. I realized then that I *do* get romantic gestures. D makes sure I have water for bed every night, he runs to the store at any time when I want ice cream (and for me ice cream is a must on most nights!) He parents Ella just as much as I do. He cooks dinner every night, does bath time so I can have me time and completely and unconditionally supports me in every decision I make (even the bad ones if it makes me happy)

So my plans for Valentine's Day? Are to make tonight like every other night. We have so much love in our relationship that every day should be February 14th!

No comments:

Post a Comment