Bitter Sweet....

Tonight was my last of two 10ks in the road race series. It marked my 7th race altogether this summer so far (6th one while preggers!) and all that is left are two little 5ks in October to earn me the coveted series jacket that I am now determined come hell or high water I will earn, darn it!!!

However, this has been a tough week. Sprout is causing so much pressure on my kidneys that my left one is swollen and I have a serious case of round ligament pain. These two things together had me in so much pain by Tuesday afternoon I couldn't move, walk, or talk and I was sent in to the ER after a call to the doctor's office. The only "cure" is rest, heat and Tylenol with codeine when needed.

Having this happen at the beginning of the week left me so nervous for tonight. I modified my goal to running/walking and coming in in under 2 hours. My friend running met me at the starting line and we started off. Not even a half of mile in and she wanted to leave me. I fought with myself, I tend to not give myself a break. I wanted to know why she would fail me now and pushing through was something I needed to do. Well 2 miles in I had to pee, that is when the contractions started and the right round ligament pain flared up. Running took one look at me and didn't give me the choice, off she galloped leaving me there on the road with the guilt of disappointment in myself. I thankfully found a lone port-o-potty and yes I used it, I needed to get the contractions to stop after all!!! After that I had a serious talk with myself.

It was not that running hated me, it was not that we weren't friends anymore. But for the time being we were just on different paths and I needed to take the walking one in order to keep my baby and my body safe. I was not failing, after all I was still doing a 10k damn it! The cutest little face and dearest friend ever met me at mile 3 and jumped in to get me over the pain of defeat and ligament pulling.

I picked up the walking pace and just kept my head down and feet moving. D and L cheered me on from my right the rest of the way and the spectators were clapping for the preggo trying to make her way to the finish line. Running met up with me again in 1/4 to 1/2 mile bursts and I just kept chugging along. I crossed the line at one hour and 30 minutes (14 min 27 sec/mile) after the gun, marking the end of another race and another accomplishment if I do say so myself.

It was not the best time, it was not even a time that is worth mentioning. In fact it is a pretty lousy time. But I was NOT the last one to finish AND I finished. I stayed strong and I got er done :0)

It is definitely time to let running go and just walk, which my last two 5ks I plan on walking at least 17 minute miles! I know that running and I have forged a friendship and that I can do it. I plan on picking back up with my old pal this spring and hitting the pavement again. Who knows maybe just maybe I can bring in a time that is worth is next year. Until then my friend, don't forget me. When this baby is born you and I are back on for sure!!!


Live Laugh ACHIEVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment