Road Trippin'

Friday mid morning we started off. The car loaded down (well not really just 3 bags), the snacks and the water handy and our bladders empty. We were making our way through the winding roads and mountains of NH and VT straight into NY for our 5th wedding celebration of the summer.

The trip started off great. But there was a point there in the middle where I admit my preggo grouchies took over. We were behind Hill Billy Joe traveling on route 9, no way to pass, cars backed up and uncomfortableness (which is probably not a word but well I am using it!) settling in. I admit I snapped at my forever understanding husband and refused to talk for a bit. At one point he commented that our two year old daughter travels better than her mother. Which yes, she definitely did better than me at this point. That girl took a 4 and half hour trip with the ease of a well traveled veteran. She never asked for a potty break, she never complained, whined, or asked to get out of her car seat. She spent her time drawing and reading and looking forward to crossing bridges.

Once we got to NY I realized that going through VT was the best way (I admitted this today on the way home to D because yes he was right and I was wrong...shhhh). The arrival to the big ole city of Albany (which to L is a HUGE city) brought on a ton of excitement. I mean the most fun a little girl could ever ever have. She was awed by the buildings and the traffic and by the "elegator" rides. She took to the difference in lifestyle like a fish to the water and I am pretty sure we are going to lose her one day to the city and she will be my own little city fashionista.

Friday night was a great night to catch up with family and start the wedding weekend. We dined and some of us drank (Ella and I had Shirley Temples, which of course was a HUGE hit with both her and little sprout). We retired early after a swim in the pool and a late night snack delivered by room service. That alone caused Ella quite joy, to get to eat "machoes" with Daddy that the man brought all the way to our room.

Saturday dawned cloudy and gray but dry. We headed out to breakfast where our little princess pie sustained her first ever blood injury when a sidewalk fall skinned both her knees. To her the day was over, she couldn't walk or even eat. The well anticipated wedding dancing in her mind was over, she fell and it was the end of the world. We laid low, skipped some of the festivities and took a swim and then a nap before catching the shuttle.

By the time the shuttle rolled in, our Ella was back and the excitement was pure joy to my heart. Ever feel sometimes you are so in love that you could cry? Yep looking at her little face turned up with wonder and her little voice high and squeaky with excitement as she narrated her experience to us was just pure heaven.

The wedding site was just beautiful situated on the bank of a lake on a bed of green green grass. The vows were perfect for the couple and the reception site just up the hill was simple elegance. We dined on lobster ravioli (Ella got a kick out of the server who had hidden pizza "just" for her) and salad after a sea of passed hors d'oeuvre. It was at this time that the I mean THE most anticipated part of the weekend started.

Ella had been talking about wedding dancing since last month when Derrick and I attended another wedding. When we dropped her off at my parents she asked where we were going. When I replied to a wedding she responded with "will there be dancing?" Ummm yes. "Will you dance with Daddy?" Ummm yep. "Well you know I love wedding dancing too!!! (with a slap to her leg a little disgusted she wasn't invited) I promised her I would take her to a wedding that there would be lots of dancing at and this weekend was THE WEEKEND!

She was a conga starting, booty shaking, getting down Diva! She danced and danced and danced some more. She out danced me and even refused an ice cream sundae to stay on the dance floor! When the little dancer was about to drop and my round ligament pain had me nearly doubled over we caught the shuttle back to the hotel. There we were surprised to see the fire trucks out front and the firemen going in to the hotel. My nephew was BESIDE himself. And demanded to know why they were there. Upon investigation we learned they were there to rescue 11 people out of a stuck elevator. This set his little 4 year old eyes ablaze with excitement which then transferred over to my little 2 year old and the two of them together were beyond calm downable! My nephew calls what happened his "very first rescue" (watching made him part of the crew!) and Ella keeps talking about "The floor to the elegator was gone, it wasn't there. I thought it was there but then it was not there. The men had to go down down down down and and and" and she flusters cause there is so much excitement and can't finish!

We set back out today for the trip home and again we had a seasoned veteran traveler who we had to talk into stopping for lunch...

PHEW! That was a long post, but it was a jam packed weekend of fun and adventure for our little family of 3.5 and I loved every second of it! Even the being stuck behind Hill Billy Joe part!

LIVE LAUGH VROOOOM!

CONGRATS TO ALI AND BRIAN!!!! YOUR WEDDING WAS A BLAST, THANK YOU!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment